Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Cast. Penelope

Penelope Arvanitakis plays Miranda; a tough prison dyke who doesn't shy away from a bit of shot gun decapitation.
I met Penelope on a student music clip shoot for a song called "Cry Like You Mean It", where she had to stand dead-still in a room full of light bulbs. I worked with her again on a couple of other student films and liked her attitude and energy. When I ran into her on the street in Belgrave I told her about the project and offered her the lead role without telling her too much. I was a little apprehensive that, after she read the script, she would either jump at the opportunity to try out a character unlike anything she'd done before or throw the script away and never talk to me again.
There is a bit of Aileen Wuornos (Charlize Theron in Monster)and Snake Plisskin (Kurt Russel in Escape From New York)in her character and I did have a Tattooist lined up to give her some (fake) full sleeves of dodgy prison tatts but she traded the mountains for the sea, to get away from the bush fires, and couldn't make it to the shoot.
So the other girls drew a few on with texta.
Its a Trasharama film.

No comments:

Post a Comment